Practical Family Nutrition

Monday, August 31, 2009

School Potlucks

Fried Chicken, more fried chicken, pizza, fried chicken, fried chicken and more fried chicken. That's what entrees were available at the potluck for my child's class last week. I know people are busy and don't have time or want to cook. I know that store bought or take out is more convenient and I have no problem with this. But I also know that there are plenty of store bought and take out opportunities that are a lot healthier than fried chicken.

If asked to donate books to the school, I doubt that these parents would choose poorly written stories or books portraying anti-social or illegal activities as desirable outcomes. They want the best for their children (this was a potluck at a private school)and will complain if they believe their child is not getting the best available. So why do they choose fried chicken?

I wonder what these parents are thinking when they purchased all of this chicken. I don't know all of these parents well, but as a group they are educated and upper middle class or above. It never ceases to surprise me that when we try to provide the best for our children, nutrition is often over looked.

These parents want the school to provide positive role models for their children. They want the best teachers, the most current technology, plus theatre, sports, dance, art, foreign language, advanced placement classes, international studies and travel opportunities, and healthy food at the cafeteria. They want recycling, volunteering opportunities,and college ready young adults at graduation. I am all for this, but I also see that I have a role to play as well. It is my job to model appropriate food choices by providing nourishing food. I know potlucks are parties and are for fun--but let's also remember that we are always influencing our kids, even through our food choices.

Labels: , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 8:27 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm just curious what you brought to the potluck. Perhaps you could have removed the skin from the chicken. If the children are over extended with so many organized activities, healthy family meals usually suffer. Also I do not believe a higher socioeconomic class makes for better parenting.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home